Hack 2: Create c.u.l.t.u.r.e
Start with School leaders
The school leader embodies a school’s culture. Its leader’s words and actions represent a school’s priorities and concerns. We get a sense of culture when we witness a school leader:
- get down on the floor and smile while interacting with a group of first-graders
- help a teacher navigate a difficult situation without passing judgment or controlling every aspect of the situation
- patiently listen to and support an upset family member without reacting or getting defensive
- take stakeholders’ opinions into account when implementing policies.
- What barriers arise as you model transparency with your community?
- How do you keep your school focused on culture in a mandated testing environment?
- What ways do you ask questions to your staff to keep the pulse of the group?